High School State Testing
On June 10, 2013, House Bill 5 was signed by Gov. Rick Perry, resulting in students needing to pass five end-of-course exams instead of 15 to meet graduation requirements. Below are answers to a few common questions about the new legislation.
1. Which end-of-course (EOC) tests are required for graduation due to HB 5?
English I*, English II*, Algebra I, U.S. History and Biology
*reading and writing combined
2. If a student does not pass an EOC that is still required for graduation under HB 5, does the student still have to go to summer school and re-take the exam?
Districts are required to provide summer EOC camps for any student who fails to achieve satisfactory performance on these exams, and students are encouraged to participate at each retesting opportunity.
3. Will EOC exam results be included in students’ grades?
No. HB 5 has eliminated that requirement.
4. What courses will require an EOC test?
English I and English II
1st Testing Administration: Spring
2nd Opportunity: Summer (July)
3rd Opportunity: Fall (December)
TEA established a four (4) hour time limit (5 hours for English I and II only) for the STAAR EOC assessments. TEA notes that a four hour time limit should provide sufficient time for the majority of students to complete the test. The rationale for time limits aligns Texas testing practices with other timed state and national assessments, i.e. SAT, ACT and AP examinations. Extended time accommodations for students with unique learning needs will continue to be offered.
Once students have taken a STAAR assessment they will receive a score indicating their performance. Students performance will fall in to one of the four categories below:
- Master Grade Level
- Meets Greade Level
- Approaches Grade Level
- Did Not Meet Grade Level
High school students may continue to take the exams until they meet the passing standards.
STAAR/ EOC Testing Dates 2020-2021
STAAR EOC Dates
STAAR EOC December Re-tests:
- December 8-11: testing window for Algebra I, Biology, and U.S. History
- December 8: English I
- December 10: English II
- May 4-7: testing window for Algebra I, Biology. and U.S. History
- May 11: English II
- May 13: Algebra II
STAAR EOC Summer Re-tests:
- June 22-25: testing window for Algebra I, Biology, and U.S. History
- June 22: English I
- June 24: English II