Skip To Main Content

Financial Aid


What Financial Aid is Right for You?

  • Financial Aid: FAFSA or TASFA?

    Depending on your situation you will apply for financial aid one of two ways:

    • If you have a Social Security Number, you will fill out the FAFSA
    • If you do not have a Social Security Number or have a Social Security Number through DACA, you will fill out the TASFA

    **Both applications open October 1st**

  • Most senior students will apply for FASFA or TASFA as a dependent, meaning they will have to provide information about their parents. Wondering whether you're independent or dependent? Check out the link:

  • BOTH the FAFSA and the TASFA allow you to access the 4 types of financial aid:
    1. Scholarships: Awards that students MUST APPLY FOR that are based on need, merit, or achievement that DO NOT HAVE TO BE REPAID.
    2. Grants: Awards that students QUALIFY for vs. applying for that are mostly awarded on the basis of need and DO NOT HAVE TO BE REPAID.
    3. Work Study: On and sometimes off-campus jobs for students who demonstrate financial need. Hours are limited. Students must apply for this aid through the FAFSA or the TASFA.
    4. Loans: Money that is BORROWED and MUST BE REPAID WITH INTEREST. There are different types of loans, and students should accept certain types of loans first before restoring to other. 

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

  • What is the FAFSA?

    • The FAFSA is the free online application students can use to receive federal aid.

    What kind of aid can I receive through the FAFSA?

    • You can receive grants, loans, and work study.

    How to apply for FAFSA

    • Before beginning your FAFSA application, you and your parent must make an FSA ID. This is like a username and it makes it easier once you are ready to submit!
    • After you have made your FSA ID, you can begin your application.
    • There you will select "Start A New FAFSA) and enter your FSA ID

    Documents you need:

    • Parent W-2 Forms and tax forms 1040 for the year prior-prior (2018).
  • FAFSA website

    Opt Out Form (turn into counseling office)

TASFA (Texas Application for State Aid)

  • What is the TASFA?

    • The TASFA is the free application students can use receive state aid.

    What kind of aid can I receive through the TASFA? 

    • You can receive grants and possible work study and possible loans.

    How to apply for the TASFA

    • Click on this link: Link will become available on Oct 1st, 2019
    • Here you will find the .pdf application in English and in Spanish.
    • NOTE: You will have to submit a separate application for each college that you apply to.
    • Ms. Banegas manages all TASFA applications for Akins.  Visit her in the CCC for help!

    Documents you need:

    • Parent tax return, tax transcript, and W-2’s for the year prior-prior (2018)
    • Student tax return, tax transcript, and W-2’s for the year prior-prior (2018)
    • Required documents vary school to school
  • TASFA Application English

    TASFA Application Spanish